Employers can now apply to offer fully-subsidised 6 month work placements to 16 – 24 year olds through the Kickstart scheme, and will receive £1,500 for doing so.
The Kickstart Scheme was initially announced on 8th July 2020 as a raft of support measures to help both the UK economy and the thousands of young people who have been adversely impacted by the pandemic. It opened for registration on Wednesday 2nd September and it is understood that the first placements will be available from November.
The Scheme is designed to create new 6-month job placements for those aged 16 to 24 who are currently receiving Universal Credit and are at risk of long-term unemployment. It is understood that the scheme will currently run until December 2021, and may be extended.
What does the Government pay employers?
The Government will pay employers:
· 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week, this can be topped up by the employer
· The National Insurance contributions
· The employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
· £1,500 per placement for setup costs, support and training
What are the requirements?
To qualify for the scheme, the new jobs must not:
1. Replace existing or planned vacancies
2. Cause existing employees or contractors to lose or reduce their employment.
The role must be:
1. A minimum of 25 hours per week, for 6 months
2. Pay at least the National Minimum Wage for their age group
3. Not require individuals to undergo extensive training before they begin.
You are required to apply to be part of this scheme and a panel will review your application. Each application should include how you will help the participant to develop their skills and experience, including:
1. Support to look for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals
2. Support with CV and interview preparation
3. Support with basic skills, such as attendance, timekeeping and teamwork
If your application is successful, you will be required to sign an agreement and provide a job description.
Are you offering more than 30 placements?
Just follow this link to apply directly:
Are you offering less than 30 placements?
You can register through the Chamber of Commerce. Just follow this link:
How can Kerris Crook HR Consultancy help?
Kerris Crook can provide employers with the following support:
· Help you to scope the role and produce a job description.
· Advise on questions to ask during the interview process.
· Conduct the interviews with you.
· Provide performance management training including setting meaningful goals.
· Provide absence management training including attendance and timekeeping.
· Provide access to a cloud-based administrative system to manage all of your employees’ and workers’ performance and absence.
Once workers are accepted onto a placement, they can receive onsite support to develop their interview skills including:
· Sessions including how to tailor CVs and covering letters to the role and skills required, and the type of company research to be conducted before an interview.
· Mock interviews including tips on answering competency-based interviews and advice on the types of questions that an applicant may wish to ask.
If you would like to discuss this in more detail, then just send an email to email@example.com.